One of the reasons that Fort William has won so many awards is down to you, the Fans. The riders love an enthusiastic, noisy, appreciative crowd and the Fort William fans always deliver the perfect atmosphere.
Your job is pretty simple. Turn up on your own, with family or some mates and do your best to encourage every rider from every country to go higher and faster. Noise is good – shouting, airhorns, rattles, drums, bagpipes, trumpets etc – and there’s plenty of space on the courses for impromptu bands to perform. The neighbours don’t normally complain.
Get out on the course and see what your heroes are capable of doing. The DH is pretty easy to study as the gondola passes over the entire length of the course and the 4X is really accessible, although it will be absolutely jammed for the evening Finals. Have a look at the Downhill and 4X spectator maps for more information.
Most of all, have fun during the day and at night in Fort William.
Do’s and Don’ts
Some serious stuff, which is really important.
1. We are looking forward to some glorious Highland weather – but it’s best to come prepared! The Downhill takes place on one of the highest mountains in Britain and the weather can change very suddenly. Even if the forecast is good, bring an extra layer of clothes as well as waterproofs. All courses are on a rugged mountainside so sturdy, waterproof footwear (such as hiking boots) is essential.
2. Remember to take water and food with you if you plan to spend time away from the World Cup Village on the courses. A small rucksack may be very useful. It is not permitted to bring alcohol or glass bottles into the event. There will be random bag checks at the entrance.
1. It is very important for the future of mountain biking in the Highlands that you carry any litter or rubbish to the bottom of the course and dispose of it responsibly in the bins provided.
2. There will be some recycling of rubbish in the World Cup Village. Please help by separating cans and plastic into the appropriate bins.
3. Do not bring any glass onto the site.
1. As a mountain bike enthusiast you’ll know what to expect in terms of the action on the courses.
2. Help us make that action as safe and accessible to spectators as possible by always obeying signs and marshal directions – especially if crossing the course – and keeping outside taped areas.
1. If you’ve bought tickets in advance, you must remember to bring them! Lost or forgotten tickets cannot be replaced. As well as allowing you up the gondola (if appropriate), they allow you into the World Cup Village area and provide access to the course.
1. Please be aware that because of the large number of riders using the Gondola, the seats may be muddy at times.
2. Spectators will not be able to take bikes up the gondola. Bikes can be left at the bike park outside the event entrance. Remember to bring your own lock.
Shuttle buses and Park & Ride
The shuttle bus system works well to move people from Fort William and the Park & Ride – but at the end of the day there will be some queuing, due to the volume of people leaving at the same time. Please be tolerant, patient and always check you are in the right queue. There are signs for the different bus routes.